I'm happy to announce that you can now purchase my book The Art Of Unit Testing through the Manning Early Access Program. Currently, the first five chapters are available, but when you purchase the MEAP version you get the new chapters as they come in, before anyone else. Also, you can help make the book better and more accurate as a MEAP reader since the author forum can be used to discuss book topics you find interesting and I will be reading it at least twice a week (hopefully daily).
(If you plan on purchasing it or sending this to someone else, please use this special affiliate link so that I can know how many transactions occurred as well as generate a few dollars on every sale through the MEAP program)
- What's with the ugly cover art? I'm working on it. We had to have something to start putting this online. The final print will have something which I can actually stand behind.
- What are the first five chapters about?
The way I see it, the book is divided into several parts. the first part (chapters 1-5) are about the basic tools you need to know to start writing unit tests in the real world. Everything from working with NUnit and the basic attributes of unit tests, and up to using fake, stub and Mock objects. There is also quite a full reference for using the Rhino.Mocks framework. The idea is that you can take someone with no unit testing experience whatsoever in .NET, and have them read those five chapters. then they have the basic knowledge to actually know what you're talking about when you say "Mocks" or "integration testing". They may even be able to write some real world tests using these chapters, even interaction tests.
Part I Getting started
1. The basics of unit testing - FREE
2. The first unit test - AVAILABLE
Part II Core techniques
3. Using Stubs to break dependencies - AVAILABLE
4. Interaction testing Using Mock Objects - AVAILABLE
5. Mock Object frameworks - AVAILABLE